Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

For Juvat...

A group of destroyed Iraqi tanks, with the vehicles at the bottom of the photo and to the right showing the results of the jack-in-the-box effect. USMC Photo by MSGT Howard J. Farrell (Source)
Once upon a time, when I was but a callow youth, I gave thought to becoming a tanker in the Army of the United States. Somehow (after learning that with spectacles I could never be a fighter pilot) the idea of commanding 50 odd tons of steel packing a 105 mm gun (for the M60A1 was all the rage when I was nobbut a lad) seemed like just the thing for a frustrated jagdflieger wannabe.

M-60A3s participating in REFORGER near Giessen, Germany, 1985. (Source)

I mean, they're friggin' awesome lookin' ain't they?

But one thing led to another, the Army was insistent on making me a technician. I didn't want that, I wanted tanks. Damn it.

So what happened? I decided that if I was going to be a technician, it would be on aircraft. Fighter aircraft. Goodbye Army, hello Air Force.

Ah, what might have been.

Anyhoo...

Juvat likes tanks with their turrets all blowed off. So I figured I'd oblige him. I learned today that the whole turret coming off thing actually (according to the OAFSSRFTOTN) has a name! The Jack-in-the-box effect. No, really.

Ouch.

Here's two examples of why tanks and missiles don't play nicely together...


Okay, that one didn't pop the turret, the next one does. Big time.



Okay, nothing to do with tanks but I need some Dropkick Murphys, so I'm sharing. It's what we former wild rovers do, we share.


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar